Monday, December 1, 2008

Clinton as Secretary of State

I'm surprised Hillary is the new Secretary of State.
I'm not sure how I feel about it. I should be happy because I was more loyalty to Hillary during the primaries at first but... my first thought is.... shouldn't the Secretary of State be someone Obama is really tight with?

They have to think exactly alike, but they do have to be congenial enough to discuss things without taking disagreements personally. (I guess I'm thinking of the West Wing here, and that's not a good comparison because the characters on that were the President's staff, not his Cabinet members (Is secretary of state in the Cabinet? yes, right?).
But anyway, using my bad, and fictional reference point.... I do think that the policy makers should be open and comfortable enough with eachother to really throw everything on the table when they are together, so that they come to agreements they both support.
Somehow I don't see Hilary and Obama having these sort of honest... not tense meetings.


As much as the commentators say they don't hate each other, not hating is not enough. So what if they don't hate each other, they both have their own egos. They are the two biggest egos in the game right now. And when one ego is trying to protect itself from another it sees as threatening, there is conflict.

I think Hillary will always be wanting to assert herself to Obama. It is natural when faced with someone as charismatic and successful as Obama, (and someone who has beaten you,) to be defensive. But defensive feelings do not make a good working relationship.

Obviously I am not a political thinker, nor do I have much information. It's amazing how I can take so long to make a simple point. Oh well, I need practice expressing myself.

But yay for another female secretary of state.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's midnight and I haven't started my reading for tomorrow. DAMNIT.

No comments: