Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Election

So Obama won. Duh, everyone knows that already. I want to write about this, but if I'm honest this election never became my thing. I feel a little bit hypocritical talking about american politics in general, because I never seem to care as much as I should or as much as other people do. I do care, but it's pathetic how quickly I forget about it all. One week I'm at home watching all the debates and the SNL skits, AND the Daily Show, AND the Colbert Report with my mom and debating the candidates with my relatives, and the next minute I'm on my own in Israel and I haven't checked a newspaper or looked anything up online in days. Last night my dad woke me at four in the morning Israeli time, or maybe it was three, to tell me they had called Ohio for Obama and so it was almost impossible for McCain to win.
"You're not awake watching this historic election!?" he cried.
Good point, I should have been participating, if just emotionally, in this historic moment. (I did vote! That's not what I mean.)
Like, "where were you when x happened?" people will ask.
I was sleeping.....
I do care more than it sounds like. I do, I do. I just have to read something first that gets me into it or something. I need some... what's the word... catalyst to get me going and then I'll be into it. I swear.
Oh well. At heart I am not a very... intellectual person.

But really. I'm so glad Obama won. Now that he won I realize how disappointed I would have been if he hadn't. But I resisted him in the beginning, hating the sense that he was the cool candidate to support among young people. That was last spring when I was at school. I knew very little about him and so felt suspicious that people were already acting like he was the savior. It was my fault for not reading about him, but well, there were other things going on in my mind. Now however I like that he's the cool candidate. He makes politics interesting. Anyway, I won't keep writing about this. At the moment it doesn't seem authentically me. It is something I feel I should write about and so it is probably incredibly boring to read. Not that anyone's reading Carolyn! And do I want anyone to read?

No comments: